Auteurship

By definition the auteur theory is being able to distinguish personality of a director and an auteur is someone who has a recurrent characteristic of style that reflect their worldview. As Harrington said in class, if he played a few clips by Wes Anderson everyone would know it was Wes Anderson because he has a quirky kind of style, his own style. I would say that all of the films we watched in class fit into the auteur category. The reason I say this is because you could tell in majority of the work that whoever the creator was they had their own distinct style and that they loved creating this work for people. This is very clear in Loving Vincent and even the Documentary on Norstein. In both of these films these people put their heart and souls into their projects, even if it meant it would take awhile. I was amazed by Loving Vincent, I truly didn't realize how long of a process it took them to complete. It was interesting to see how these creators really did love Vincent van Gogh and they wanted to show the world how much of an amazing person he was, all through animation/their own style. Then, in Documentary on Norstein when the viewers were able to see the studio that this man worked in, it was clear he loved what he did and he had his own style. His wife would do all of the drawings then he would assemble all of the pieces together. This is definitely a process, but when you love something you and have a vision of what you want the end results to be, you will do what you can to make things work. Without a doubt these two films embody the auteur theory and if you look at the other films you could say this about them too.

Comments

  1. I was thinking about this in class as well! I'm not really a huge fan of auteur theory because I feel like it diminishes the creative contribution that the crew makes and places a lot of emphasis on the director as the sole proprietor of the film, when in fact it takes a lot of people to make a film happen, but I think it might apply better to cases like Norstein where we see one artist working alone on an animated film for years, or Ruth Lingford and Death and The Mother. But you bring up an interesting point about Norstein's wife - he's not doing it alone if she's making all the drawings, so why aren't we hearing more about her involvement in the films? Just something I was thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I never actually thought about how auteur theory possibly diminishes the creative contribution of the crew and thinking about it now I don't know if I really am a fan of it now anymore! But with thinking of animation and having the sole creator animate their own film like you said, I appreciate it more in that sense because there truly is one creator. It is interesting to think about Elaine!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I noticed that bit about Norstein's wife (I'd use her name if I knew it) doing all those drawings! There are so many ways our society worships the individual and downplays the value of communal work. It is the cult of the individual! Look at all our superhero films, they all revolve around the theme that government and society has failed and now a single individual will save the day! We really need to reverse this kind of thinking if we're going to save the planet :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon