Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

Something that I have taken note of lately is how you barely ever find any mainstream animation that doesn't have some semblance of comedy integrated into it. For example, when was the last time you saw a Disney movie that didn't make you laugh (or at least try to)? And when was the last time you saw an adult cartoon that wasn't making a joke every 10 seconds. My point is, mainstream animation has seemed to simplify itself into a single tone: Comedic. Even in the films that are primarily covering serious topics there is typically a comic relief character to add some lighthearted fun to the film. But do all films need this?

Is it necessary for all animation to try and entertain us in the exact same way? My answer is no and I wish that more animation studios and their production companies would realize this. One thing I don't think many people realize is that animation can be lighthearted without being funny. When I say you don't have to be funny all the time, that doesn't necessarily mean you should be absolutely serious, dark, and gritty. I would be welcome to the idea, but that's not the only alternative.

Another thing many studios don't seem to recognize is that many of them have the potential to make entertaining films and series without being funny. In my opinion, the best parts of Rick and Morty are when it does get serious because it's only in these moments that the characters really get a chance to develop. I still enjoy the jokes (most of the time) but they'll never leave the impact on me that the moment when Rick attempted suicide left.

Now I'm not saying that comedy should completely disappear from mainstream animation. South Park, a show well known for its comedic tone, is one of my favorite TV shows ever made. I'm simply saying that I wish there was a bit more variety in the genres that animation seems to choose nowadays. I think it would make for a much more interesting dynamic for when you encounter an animated show you've never heard of. You think to yourself, "Hmm, I wonder what kind of show this is. Maybe I'll watch it and find out," instead of thinking, "Oh another animated comedy."

Comments

  1. Ditto. Last week's topic of animation widely being considered children's media was one hurdle, but now that you point this out, animation that is known to be targeting adults as an audience widely relies on humor to hold it's demographic. I can't remember the last time I watched an animated show or movie (that I had seen regularly advertised or had been of mainstream popularity) that didn't use humor as it's main device to hold it apart from the rest, not just in terms of having comedic moments or elements, but fully being dedicated as comedy. I'd really like to see some more seriously toned, or at least less comically driven, animation that is targeted at the same mainstream audience as these live action films and added to the ranks of the mainstream comedy that is also good, but could use some company. Better yet, I'd like to see some of the great animation that already exists more broadly treated that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coming soon to an animation aesthetics class near you...

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you - my favorite moments in adult (and kids) cartoons like Rick and Morty are the moments where they take the time to sober up, and I definitely agree that it's because it allows for some actual character development to take place. It brings it to another level when we get to see these characters that are usually just reserved for comedy acting like human beings, and I think that in itself might be what makes them stand out. Final Space is another one that started off pretty comedy heavy and revealed the more serious aspects of the story along the way. I think comedy has just become the hook for animation to get people watching, but I also hope more animated shows start focusing less on comedy, because I can't help but think along the same lines whenever we're given a serious story-driven moment that it's really what makes the show special and would be so much better if they'd follow that thread instead of constantly going for the jokes, which can almost feel cheap sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is animation (of all kinds and for all audiences) a unique place for humor? Wells dedicates a whole section of his book to different ways and reason we laugh when we watch animation!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon