The Big Sad (Stephen Hillenberg's death)

I got the news in class on Tuesday of Stephen Hillenberg's passing. I had known he had ALS, and had stopped doing press or interacting with the public, but I was not prepared to deal with him being gone. The news hit me like a truck, the wind was knocked out of me, and I instinctively turned to hug my friend and classmate next to me. Hillenberg created my childhood, my sense of humor, arguably some of my best friends growing up. His work had such a profound affect on my life, that every time I'm in Walmart or Target, I stop by the DVD section to see if the first 100 episodes box set is on sale. Spongebob. 

Let me back up. I had, luckily, a very bland childhood. No family drama, no mental illness, no childhood trauma apart from light middle school bullying. I firmly believe that the hardest parts of your life are the things that shape you, so for me, the privileged middle class white boy with no real hardship, didn't really have much shaping. This isn't me saying that I longed for a worse, more traumatic childhood, I don't, but since I had nothing going on for the first 13 years of my life, I pretty much spent it watching Nickelodeon. I watched Spongebob religiously, enough to where I can have the first 3 seasons and the movie playing on repeat in my head without really thinking about it. Jimmy Neutron, Timmy Turner, Aang, Spongebob, Drake, and Josh, pretty much made up half of my friends.

But Spongebob was different. Spongebob brightened my life like no other show could for a long time. The writing, the characters, the world, every 11 minute episode could get me out of whatever 7 year old downer I was in. I remember making my family gather around the TV to watch the Dunces and Dragons special. I had a Spongebob light switch cover, a wall outlet, a poster, the CDs, DVDs, hot wheels, if it was merch I probably had it. When I eventually grew out of the show as the quality declined (I stuck around a bit longer than any of my friends), I still would check Nickelodeon when I was bored to see if a good episode was on. In high school I hosted a watch party where all of my friends got together and watched out favorite episodes. It never really left me, and most likely never will. And that's why Hillenberg's passing it me so hard yesterday. Not because he created one of the most influential shows on my generation, but because he made a little bit of who I am.

There will never be another show like Spongebob Squarepants. There will never be a show that captured so many people so effectively with nothing but pure joy. Stephen Hillenberg's legacy will go down as the man who made Gen Z who we are. Spongebob's first three seasons will be replayed, referenced, memed, quoted, and passed on for decades, because they're a part of us, and losing a part of you really hurts.

It's 4:37 in the morning and I'm tearing up to Gary Come Home, I should stop rambling.

Rest In Peace Stephen Hillenberg, this kitchen wont be the same without you.

Comments


  1. It is honestly pretty scary how similar our childhood lives were and the show's role in it, but that just goes to show that Spongebob has changed the lives of so many children growing up in the early 2000's. The jokes, the memories, the stories and the good times I've had with friends whilst watching the show are partly a reason why I believe I am such a happy person today. Heroes never die, and Spongebob will always be there in my time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll never be just a greasy spoon without Stephen Hillenburg. He's a master of comedic storytelling. You can even see it with the musical, how the jokes are along the same line but they still work regardless of the medium.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon