She-ra is my new favorite gay icon

She-ra is a Netflix original spinoff of the he-man franchise. I was never a fan of the original show, but I thought I'd check she-ra out and I'm glad I did. It's a fun show, and I wish we had more like it when we were kids. It's one of the few kids shows where women outnumber men in the lead cast, and there's so much gay but it's not like "woah look at all this gay!" It's a lot more subtle, and I think that's great. Of course, there are more seasons to come, but I'm glad that the first one showed as much restraint as it did.

I feel like if we treat LGBT people as special, it'll only perpetuate the idea that they're something "other" than straight people. It's important that our pop culture reflects the idea that gay people are just, you know, people.

Take all that with a grain of salt though, I'm a straight cis white guy. I just wanted to start a conversation.

Comments

  1. I haven't watched the show, but I did read a New York Times article about it. My understanding was that there was an original She-ra. And that this is a reboot of that show. Was the original series a spinoff of he-man?
    I do tend to agree with what you are saying though on the ideological side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to add that the new She-Ra was developed by a gay woman! Her name is Noelle Stevenson and she's brilliant and this is like a premo example of why diversity in creative positions is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it and it was great! I agree with your sentiment too. It's not as subtle as let say the Gay Moment TM blink and you miss it moment in movies like Beauty and the Beast. There are canon gay couples shown together, and sexual tension between two female characters. It isn't undermined or played for fan service but at the same time it isn't over stated or screaming hey look this is our gay character aren't we diverse? It's normal in this universe. Just as straight people don't have to have it spelled out their sexuality and explain themselves neither do the characters of She-Ra. I could go on and on but you get it. Other then that it's a great show for a ton of other reasons both in story and character design... and I might just write a post about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?