Pink Floyd - The Wall (Movie)

So, I have a music history class called Rock Styles Since 1955 and just this past week, we were observing one part of a film called Pink Floyd - The Wall, obviously orienting itself around the band's 1979 album. The film is a mix between live action and animation, and what we observed in class was an animated portion focusing on the social and political message portrayed within one of the songs. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to find and watch it myself, but I'm on the lookout for it. However, while watching what I did see in class, I was absolutely captivated-- like, truly and honestly, I felt as though this was something unlike anything I'd ever seen before! I can't even really explain much about the whole contextual meaning, given the fact that I haven't seen the full film yet. I felt as though it would be a great example of animation that's not really meant for kids portraying a deeper idea, thought, belief, etc. I mean, if you saw this film, I'm sure you would know where I was coming from-- it was all tripped-out, as if it were supposed to make you feel like you were on an acid trip, of which some people (not me) would consider to be the most thought-provoking mental state. Everything sort of melded and morphed into one another, creating distortion and visual confusion, but it would always somehow re-stabilize itself into something you can make some sense of. Perhaps that was the reasoning behind such an artistic choice? Maybe animation is a tool used to understand complex topics in a simpler, more symbolic way? That's the way I see this film.

Comments

  1. Our generation consume so much media that I think its rare these day to have your mind blown. I'm always looking for new things that can really surprise me and make me think about the world differently. I agree with you that animation is a great place for this to happen even if it's sprinkled in among some live action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon