Persepolis VS Waltz with Bashir

When creating film categories in class, I found myself drawing many comparisons between Persepolis and Waltz with Bashir. In our group we discussed how the content of the films were similar, but served different purposes and thus was presented in different ways. Both stories were deeply personal and based on real people and experiences. They are anti-war films and depict the story of young people escaping war and facing their pasts. The use of animation as a medium is integral to both films as many of the scenes that are depicted would be impossible without them. For example, many of the battle scenes that take place, or with Persepolis the women removing their Hijabs. Animation gives the filmmakers the artistic freedom to not just portray historical events, but to also portray how people felt about them. Where the two films differed, however, was that Persepolis was much more humorous and could be suitable for younger audiences, whereas though Waltz with Bashir had humor, it was very dark and intended for older audiences.

Comments

  1. I agree with your comparison of these two films and your placement of them into the same category. I think that they both have similar themes but are expressed with different tones. I'm not sure I agree that Persepolis is very suitable for younger audiences, though, I think it is still a very mature film that is intended for an audience with a more mature perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the way that you described the similarities and differences between the two films. I found it interesting because I really had not thought to compare the two in the way you did. I also agree that some aspects of the films had to animation in order to truly convey the moment. Especially in certain parts of Persepolis. The way that the film was all black and white allowed the animator to really emphasize certain moments of darkness in her life, which I do not believe would of been as possible if it was live action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon