LGBT Representation in Animation

As creators, representation has become a paramount thing in creating bodies of work. Viewers desire to see more diverse characters in their favorite shows. Since animation is a universal art form, its place in LGBTQ representation is a tricky one. Many still perceive it as strictly a medium designed for adolescents, and bringing those concepts into a show on a children's network is a subject that can get a lot of parents really heated. In fact, there's a very short Wikipedia category dedicated to the ever-growing list of LGBT characters in animation.

Nickelodeon and Disney Channel have contributed to this very delicately. Disney is responsible for their first animated gay kiss on Star vs. The Forces of Evil, while Nickelodeon has featured a bi-racial gay couple and a queer main character on their show, The Loud House. They were also responsible for giving viewers the relationship between Korra and Asami on The Legend of Korra, one of the most beautifully unforced storylines to date. I still do believe that this is one of the most positive LGBT representations I've seen onscreen to date.

Despite my personal feelings, no network compares right now to what Cartoon Network is doing. With the satisfying ending to Princess Bubblegum and Marceline the Vampire Queen on Adventure Time to the sexuality and gender representation that's hidden in the context and subtext of Steven Universe, these shows are a concise way to introduce healthy, loving, LGBTQ characters. They do not just showcase them with romantic love, but also with platonic love and acceptance from the show's other characters.

That being said, I'm rather quite passionate about this and I'm considering starting an LGBTQ+ in media club next semester; It'll hopefully be discussion-based once every two weeks and I would love to do one of our first meetings on representation in animation. There will also be snacks! If anyone's interested in joining this proposed club, see me after class one day!

Comments

  1. That sounds interesting! I would love to see more LGBT representation in animation (although I know that the creators of the show are probably taking things slowly so they don't lose fans due to homophobes/transphobes attempting to ban the episodes, or even the show).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about LBGTQ+ representation in animation when we watched Persepolis and the "8 gay men" and Fernando's gay awakening was mentioned. I haven't seen any of the shows you mentioned, but I definitely want to take a look at some of them. I'm really hoping the rumors of a gay princess is true since the representation and normalization to gay relationships that would bring would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so awesome... I've always found how children's shows handle LGBTQ+ relationships and sexuality to be so interesting and important. I just watched everything you referenced in your post and am blown away. I didn't even know that these networks were showing gay relationships and it's very sweet :'). Being a member of the community myself it really helps to feel represented in the media, and not just in cliches that end in tragedy. Showing sweet, funny, relatable relationships for kids in the gay community will help foster a supportive and accepting environment, perhaps when they cannot find it in their own homes or friend groups... very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon