Does watching animated films get better with age?

In honor of Halloween, my friends and I decided to watch Monster House. I think this was the first time I’ve seen this since I was about 7 years old and it was still just as good. So, when I was younger I’m pretty sure this movie scarred me because I was SO scared of the house. But with watching last night, I realized there’s so much that slipped over my head as a younger kid.

When I was younger I really didn’t think anything of Bones, the babysitter’s boyfriend. If I’m being frank, he was quite a piece of shit. He disrespects Zee, and she then retaliates by kicking him out; however, he then gets eaten by the house (it’s really not a loss anyway).

Maybe this is why adults can watch animation that is considered to be made for children. My parents watched this movie with me when it first came out and I remember thinking, when I was younger, that it was a movie for kids and they definitely wouldn’t enjoy it. To my surprise they did.

I think watching animation as a young adult is better now, rather than being a child. A few reasons I think this, include the following: we finally comprehend all of the jokes, nostalgia kicks in so these films remind us of our childhoods, movies like these are much more appreciated as an art, and I think as an adult we understand morals of these movies more now than ever before.


Could you guys agree with this/have any other points as to why animation is better with age? Or am I completely wrong and watching animation as a child is better?

Comments

  1. I totally agree, some would say that animation is like a fine wine. It gets better as it ages. Don't get me wrong, I loved animation as a child. But now as an 'adult' I definitely have a whole new appreciation. Yeah, some of the morals in animation are rather childish, but still have meaning to me as a growing person. Honestly, there is just so much to enjoy in animation and I am here to support it til the day that I die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. I did not watch that much animation growing up, don't get me wrong I love the classics, but I always thought it was pretty childish. My roommate put on Sponge bob the other day and I was surprised to how much I still admired and enjoyed it. I would even say it was funnier than before. I also think its funny that I know so many adults who love animated films which always catches me by surprise. Animation has a great way of capturing youth that I guess a lot of other mediums can't portray.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon