2D animation

In recent years, 2D animation seems like it has taken a major step backwards as many production companies and television shows have take up 3D animation. If you take a look at any Disney, Dream Works, or Illumination Entertainment animated films you can see that all they are no longer 2D animated. It almost feels like 2D animation is the flip phone to smart phones. Is 2D animation dying Or is there a place for it?
In my opinion, when it comes to block buster animated films such as Moana or Coco there is no longer a place for 2D animation. I believe the last big 2D animated film was Princess and the Frog and that was in 2009.  I do believe that there is a place for 2D animation. For example, many of the films that we watch in class are 2D animated. I think that 2D animation will live still thrive in many aspects of film. Many cartoons on television and many of the films that watch in class are still 2D animated. I think that 2D animation will live in the heart of art house cinema and cartoons, but when it comes to block buster animation there is no need for it. What are your thoughts?

Comments

  1. I like your comparison of 2D animation to flip phones and I agree that in terms of blockbusters/profit-driven animation companies like Pixar have turned their back on 2D in favor for more live-action like 3D animation. But I do believe 2D animation has its own style and aesthetic, similar to stop motion, that cannot be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that 2D animation still does have its place on the big screen but everyone gets so excited about 3D animation... I would say that it still is used for transitions, storytelling, and sequences in a lot of film. It may not be the main event but it's still on the sidelines, which is important (so used more of a stylization). I'm positive there's going to be a film that comes out in the next decade that will be 2D and put on the big screen. I don't believe in mediums being destroyed for the big screen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe as a society, people don't want 2D animation on the big screen anymore. They think that 3D looks better and if we have the technology for it, why go back to 2D. I completely disagree with that. I have always enjoyed 2D animation more than 3D and I feel that will never change. Its sad to me that 2D animation isn't on the big screen anymore, but I find comfort in the persistence of 2D animation on Netflix and television recently. Will this transfer to the big screen? Most likely not, at least not any time soon. But I do believe there is an audience out there for a 2D feature length and I really hope to see one soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon