Method to the Madness

In regards to the last round of animations we viewed this past week (9/17-9/21) such as those of Hedgehog in the Fog by Yuri Norstein, Breathing In by Jason Harrington, Scott Free Logo by Gianluigi Toccafondo, Jeu by Georges Schwizgebel, and many others, I felt as though the thing that stuck out to me the most was the obscure animating methods. Going more in-depth, the visual structures of these pieces give the audience a sense that things are not exactly as we perceive them by manipulating crucial aspects of the world, like color, lighting, and dimensionality. I thoroughly enjoyed these methods because it assures us that, even as we animate things to give them life and realism, the world and what happens within it doesn't have to be realistic at all-- originality, that's what grasps us. Now, surely enough, each of these pieces means something to both the one(s) who created them and to the one(s) who watches them, such like myself, and if they're different outlooks, that's okay! If anything, it's better for two people to see two different perspectives than for those same people to only focus on one-- that opens up the door for interpretation. Perspective is unique to every eye. So, given that, I feel as though manipulating the reality of the world within an animation is a greatly influential, artistic choice, no matter how mad it may seem.

Comments

  1. I always enjoy seeing a form of animation that I've never experienced before. What that tells me is that the people who made this obviously have a passion for creating their own unique look and feeling for the world they have built. It's always a treat to see a new perspective on something that I have seen before as well. For example, when I see animated trees, I often compare them to other animated trees to look at the similarities and differences. It's interesting seeing how something so simple can be illustrated in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon