Is animation the perfect medium to film dance?

Teusday's screening was probably my favorite one so far. Triangles and The Though of You were definitely my favorite animations that we've seen. The animation is so fluid, and even though the models weren't very detailed, their movements and actions made them so expressive. Because of this, i've been wondering if animation is the perfect medium for filming dance. Of course, watching dancers perform live is impressive, because dancing is an incredibly taxing effort, but  I believe it's doubly impressive to see the fluidity and passion of dance translated through drawings. On top of this, animation is able to add effects (like the subtle electricity in The Thought of You) to heighten the experience. Dancing, I believe, is the perfect subject for animation too, as it allows animators to really flex their technical muscles and show fluidity and grace through their drawings.

Comments

  1. I was thinking the same thing with all of the dancing films we've watched, there is something about dance and animation that works really well together. I think a similar thing happens with music videos as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a definite ethereal effect that dancing in animation is able to capture. In many of the films we saw at the screening, dances were acted as interesting visual interpretations of emotions and events and this is something that is really well captured in children's animated films. Two examples that come to mind are the 'Once Upon a December' dream/dance sequence from Anastasia, where being back in the palace sparks a small memory of her time there mixed with the fantasy of living a lavish life, and the 'Pink Elephants on Parade' sequence from Dumbo, where Dumbo hallucinates and the elephants bounce around the frame contorting and dancing in a way that shows how frightened and confused he is for the majority of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and I think its true! Triangle was one of my favorites from this screening for that reason. The way the lines moved and changed really expressed the way we dance even though most of the time the frames were full of still, straight lines. The idea of drawing each frame singularly and them amounting to as much, if not more, fluidity than the dancers themselves, as you suggest, is really interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon