Fine Art Animation and Auteurs

I thought what tied many of the fine art screenings together was the visibility of each author's distinct style as well as the medium they chose. In the Owl Who Married the Goose, The Documentary on Norstein, and Scrounge in particular drew my attention to their mediums. For example, with The Owl Who Married the Goose, the use of sand drew attention to itself and cause me to ask "Why use sand? how does it add to the narrative? what does it say about the artist that they chose this material?" I thought that it spoke to the animator's artistic abilities and their skill of using positive and negative space. The fact that her animation couldn't be put down on paper and saved but instead could so be easily erased was an interesting concept, and added a layer to the folktale.

Comments

  1. I wrote about the same thing last week. I thought that the documentaries we watched last week really emphasized that fact. It almost seemed that the process of animation was more important to Yuri Norstein (Hedgehog and the Fog) and Dorota Kobeila/Hugh Welchman (Loving Vincent) than the fact that people saw the films and they made money. It was really compelling to me to see the effort and passion put into these films by the animators.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon