Death and Her Mother

All of the films we watched last week have some aspect of apollenian and dionysus to them. I keep coming back to "Death and The Mother", it is 100% a piece of art that could be stopped at any frame and thrown into a fine arts museum. But at the same time the lack of dialogue makes it an intellectual film that forces us to think about the relationship between a mother and her child and the lengths she would go to protect it. The artist left her imprint on the film by the style that she did it in. The edgy and sharp black and white film projects her thoughts of death and motherhood onto the film. I do believe it is also a film that can be consumed for pleasure but maybe not the same pleasure you would get from watching "The Incredibles" or "Toy Story." It fulfills a pleasure of something aesthetically pleasing. It is a perfect synthesis of pleasure, fine art, and intellect.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you! I was saying in my own blog post that they had of both aspects apollenian and dionysus in them. I just forgot those names haha. I Wrote about Death of a Mother as well! I knew it was fine art because of the way it was drawn, BUT I also would consider it "edgy" and "experimental" at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree too! Films are a combination of Apollonian and Dionysian and our preference and views on them are completely subjective. A film's Apollonian can inform our Dionysian and vice versa. There is no distinctive or objective point of view and both dichotomies go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true. I was kind of struggling to think of all of the films combined that we watched in class. I ended up going with autership, but all of these films definitely do also have some aspect of apollenian and dionysus to them, as you said. specifically, Death of a Mother really fits both of these aspects and that's definitely something to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon