Female Characters Written by Men

For our last class we watched Song of the Sea and had a brief discussion on if the film is feminist or not. From that, one of the other students asked if the girls in the class feel that it's true that men need to stop writing female characters because they're not relatable. My answer to this is fucking of course. As someone who literally always watches movies, most of the women that I see are nothing like me and or any woman that I associate myself with. And that can be very difficult sometimes. This is true for student films as well, which is sad. I can't tell you how many films I've seen men in park make about some manic pixie dream girl who's just looking for her "destiny." They're all the same. And this is a man's ideal girl. It's as silly as any John Green novel.

It would be much easier to relate to female characters if they were written by women. One great example is Bridesmaids, one of my favorite movies of all time. One of the reasons that is is because it was written by Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo and it perfectly sums up the way I act with my best friends. I know not every woman would feel this way, but the ridiculous antics and crude humor is much more natural to me than that of the manic pixie dream girl. I just want to see women who are like me, not a man's version of what they want me to be.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with you. It's so important for characters to be written by someone that represents that population. Not just women characters, but queer characters as well. It is so extremely annoying when a gay or trans character is written by a cis straight male. In Park it's pretty easy to ask for an opinion of someone who represents that minority, or maybe just don't tackle that subject if you don't know much about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon