Cú in Song of the Sea


Okay, Cú does not get enough credit for being amazing in this film. This giant shepherd dog is really just a sweetheart.

Throughout the film he saves the heroes multiple times, like blocking Macha from coming into the attic and turning Ben into stone. It’s clear that Cú has undying loyalty for his caretakers as he literally swims over dangerous waters for Ben and Saoirse. He also pushes Ben out of his comfort zone a little bit by force, like dragging him into the dangerous waters to save Saoirse. Not only does he have undying loyalty, but I think Cú makes people better humans. Ben is mean to basically everyone, especially his sister. But Cú brings out this pureness in people and Ben eventually ends up becoming much nicer. Also, Cú's eyes are hidden by his fur basically all of the film, which makes sense because after all, he is a shepherd dog, but it just makes him even cuter. How could you not love Cú?

Anyway, I really loved Song of the Sea. The animation was so beautifully detailed, I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. It’s odd because I feel like this animation isn’t as prominent with being seen in theaters and that makes me sad because it’s still just as beautiful as 3D CG animation, if not, better. Thank you for showing this film Harrington!




Comments

  1. I really loved this movie and totally agree that Cu was THE most adorable character. I loved how selfless he was and how he took all those risks just to save his humans. Every time I thought he wouldn't jump into the water he did and wasn't afraid. Definitely makes me miss my dogs. In general, I was so blown away by how amazing this animation was and I think if you paused it at nearly any moment it would look like a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Cu was based of this guy from Celtic mythology, if you want some more background. Really interesting story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%BA_Chulainn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon