Animated Remakes: New Perspectives or a Cash Grab?

Recently, I have been thinking about the truly vast number of animated films that are being remade.  These remakes seem to bring up the argument if they are offering anything new or different in comparison to the original.  Usually, these films tend to serve as a reminder of the significance and success of the original film.  What they do tend to change, however, is the visual storytelling techniques and the technology used to create the image.  As technology advances, we tend to see more remakes, because filmmakers want a way to guarantee an audience interest from something they have seen before.  They also want a chance to show off new filmmaking technologies such as CGI and 3D animations.  I wonder if these films offer a new perspective, and breath of fresh air for an old film or are simply shallow attempts for a cash grab. 

Comments

  1. I think it's a bit of both. I think the remaking of these classic animated films using new technology is a way of showing off how far animation and technology have come. However instead of coming up with original storylines they're using plots that they already know are popular and thus is a safe bet at the box office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point about whether or not these new films offered up anything different from the original reminded me of this video I saw of the old and new "Lion King" trailer side by side and how the live-action did a shot for shot remake of the original. I think you're right about how it might be designed to remind the audience of a film's success and maybe there's something there about how we want to see the same thing just in a different way

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon