South Park is ruining the world

   I think that comedy can be a really good vessel for engaging with politics however I do not believe that South Park should ever be shown to children and I don't think there are any lessons that should be learned from the show. I think the animation really dehumanizes people and the humor is less satire and more using political issues as comedy. I think it can be really important to laugh at the problems of the world however, South Park simply brings up hot button political issues and makes fun of everything and everyone involved. This teaches the children watching this that these important political discussion are just jokes and it desensitizes them to engaging in serious dialogues. South Park teaches a "fuck it who cares" attitude that I think can actually be a really dangerous way of seeing the world.
  Mixing politics and fart jokes conflates these things in our mind, making them both topics we can laugh off and forget about after 20 minutes.

Comments

  1. Interesting point. I agree with you in terms of the South Park episode we watched in class, but not necessarily for all of them. I think the strength in South Park is how current it is. An episode is made in a week, allowing it to come out with content relevant to the most current news cycle. I think South Park allows some viewers the outlet to see on the screen the most exaggerated version of how they may be feeling. Take for example the Margaritaville episode about the stock market crash. The way they showed bankers and the government being irresponsible and idiotic in terms of handling finance. As exaggerated and hyperbolic it may get, it spoke to how many Americans were feeling after loosing so much. It tackles how people in economics use jargon to confuse average Americans and distance us from understanding the economy. And how those who do "know" the economy are acting irresponsibly (i.e. making bailout decisions by cutting off the heads of chickens and seeing where they land) and in the end really know nothing at all. Cynical? Yes. But sometimes it says exactly how I feel.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGwZVGKG30s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure South Park is meant for kids, which was kind of the point of watching it. The episode that we watched specifically was created to comment on America's point of view on the middle east such as mixing up Iran and Iraq as if they're the same country. It's obviously a different approach on commentary, but it's definitely light hearted and if anything has a more social and political commentary than not. I also don't think anyone is watching South Park as a source of new either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of agree with you. I do think that South Park humor is a little bit excessive and inappropriate, but I think that's what they were going for. They tried getting so close to crossing the line of "okay that's just wrong," that it made people feel uncomfortable, and I think for many people that was the close.
    I see where you're going when you're saying that South Park is terrible because it's a bad influence to kids, but then that brings up the question, aren't all satires bad influences. Because all satires are "joking" about something that is serious going on in this world. I think in that case maybe it's okay, or maybe it depends on whether you cross that line or not. I'm not really sure now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon