Excess...

I've been thinking about excess in the media since last year when I wrote a long argument essay detailing the rating system. I thought that it was silly that we are so quick to rate violent live-action films higher than violent cartoons. And it's because there is a discrepancy between live-action and animation and what is seen as acceptable for both mediums.
It is a common theme to blame the faults of our children on the things they grew up experiencing: especially with media, political events, etc... I can't help but think that children grow up with a love for slapstick humor, something that I know has definitley stayed with me since watching Spongebob when I was younger. It's not even just Spongebob either, there were tons of cartoons that contained a lot of violence that was made out to be funny, yet acceptable in a way that wouldn't have been if it were live-action. This is excess to me, and demonstrates the limits of each medium.

Comments

  1. I wouldn't say excess in animation is a limitation of the medium, I'd argue that excess is animation's greatest asset.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon