Anime more adult?

Anime is known to be more violent and sexualized than Western Animation, and that makes me wonder how different the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is compared to its Japanese equivalent. What does the film association in Japan allow to be shown on the screen? What don't they allow? Are there strict rules about what can be in a movie and what can't, or what a movie must be?
I don't have anything against it; I'm just curious about how the film industry works in Japan, and how it differentiates from the film industry in America.

Comments

  1. I think it's really interesting that you question how the censorship in Japan must differ from America, especially after reading "Why Anime?" and learning how the more conservative people in Japan argue against the moral impacts of anime and its effect of society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judging by the various strange Japanese ads and sexualized characters in anime, it seems as if the Japanese are much more lax with allowing unconventional and sexual media becoming public than Americans. Even in video games, American releases of Japanese games sometimes have to alter characters who are too explicit for the American standard ratings. I don't know much about specific rules, but I'm curious to see what kind of content isn't allowed to be shown in Japan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon