Akira Remake?

I was researching "Akira" after watching it in class and came across an article: "Taika Waititi May Direct 'Akira' for Warner Bros" and I found it to be hilariously opposing to this week's reading. In "Why Anime?" the author applauds anime's refusal to make its content more palatable for its foreign/Western audiences. If anime is so adamant on sticking to its aesthetic values and roots, I wonder how much of a role they have in this possible Western remake and whether or not it will adhere to the specific style of anime or transition it more to American animations.

Comments

  1. I could see this Hollywood adaptation taking on the conventions we see in big blockbuster action films more than the stylistic elements of anime that come from character movements and expressions. The content and action sequences in Akira will probably translate well in an adaptation from the director of the newest Thor movie but I don't expect it to be true to the visual style of the animated film or the manga. Which begs the question of how palatable these conventions are to the mainstream western audience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon