No Antagonist in "Your Name"

So after watching Your Name, I realized that the film didn't have an antagonist. I thought this was really interesting because usually the relationship between the antagonist and protagonist is what drives the tension of a story. In this film, it was the couple's desire to meet face to face, despite all the obstacles in their way. I was thinking about other animes I've seen and I saw a similar situation in My Neighbor Totoro, where the tension of the story is drawn when Mai disappears. As a result, I find myself always feeling that I've learned something about the fleetingness of life after these movies.
Wondering if anyone else has seen some good animated films that don't have an antagonist, or even contain not a lot of binary opposition (much like Princess Mononoke).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon