What I Enjoy About Animation

Before starting this class, even though I knew that Disney’s version of animation was not the only type of animation, it was still what I immediately thought of when I heard the word. Unfortunately, I know that this is true for a lot of people. Although Disney’s form of animation is enjoyable to watch, it has become known to be for kids. Due to the fact that this has become the mainstream, animation has now become thought to be for kids only. Of course, we all know this at this point in our class. However, the discussions during class of all these different forms of animation has really made me think about what I personally enjoy about animation.
Tim Burton and Henry Selick’s work has always been my favorite hands down. I think that their approach and style is absolutely stunning. Coraline (2009), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), and Corpse Bride (2005) are my favorite animated movies to date. It can easily be said that these three animated films have a “creepy” aspect to them, which is what I love. Halloween is my favorite holiday, so whenever October rolls around, these films are lined up to be watched.
In addition to these more “Halloween themed” films, I also enjoy Wallis and Gromit movies, James and the Giant Peach (1996), and The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009). These type of stop-motion and claymation films are what I really hope to look more into during the course of the semester.

Comments

  1. Interesting take on Disney becoming thought of as Animation. I do wonder if these films, Coraline, Wallace and Gromit, James and the Giant peach, etc. Are also considered to be films for children. I agree that they have more depth that, in turn, can be more enjoyable for adults; however, they all seem to have a very simple message, which is often associated with Disney films. For example, Coraline's message is to not take what you have for granted. Just a thought, great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon