Bad but entertaining?

So I've been thinking: is the opposite of Professor Harrington's "good but boring" bad but entertaining? I'm thinking like really campy films that are terrible but that everyone still loves, or films that aren't considered of the highest artistic/thematic/narrative quality, but are still popular (so I guess we could put modern blockbusters in that category). I guess this would be the full dionysian route if we're talking Nietzsche. In terms of animation specifically, I'm thinking maybe something like old newgrounds videos or asdfmovies (not to say that they're bad, but they're not on the same technical/skill level as a pixar film or one of the fine art films we've seen in class) and are made just for entertainment purposes. I also feel like this whole needs-to-be-entertaining thing might also be linked to the fact that animation is considered children's media, and as kids, I think we probably all liked things because they entertained us, and weren't really concerned with anything else (Rainbow Brite, anyone?) Just a thought!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bratz: Rock Angelz is the movie I didn't know I needed

Does Animation Have to Make You Laugh?

She-ra is my new favorite gay icon